Life update: I WENT TO LAW SCHOOL :)

Post by Kia Paredes


Wow. 2021 was...something else. 


It was a year of change, acceptance, and growth. Surprises, even. I haven't been able to write here as much as before because not only did I get busy with work but also with other things.


And guess what! I got into law school. Yes, you read that right. Law school. 


I was supposed to publish this a few months back but I just re-opened this entry and to update you, I am in my 2nd year already. 


See, it was never part of the plan but it just happened. I mean the opportunity did not fall into my lap at once because I gave it a lot of thought and prayed for it every day. So how did it even start? Well, back in June or July 2021, I was pondering "what if I go to law school?" or "what if I become a lawyer?". I asked such questions to myself almost every day and as someone who wants to live her life to the fullest, I just gave it a try. 


The first step was researching and eventually applying. I initially planned to apply to UP Diliman and Ateneo, but I found out that their application periods were already over. I always always wanted to get into any of those aforementioned law schools. However, maybe it is the universe's sign that I'm better off at any other law school because, at the end of the day, it is never about the school but the person who worked hard for it. More importantly, we all have the same goal and it's to reach the finish line. 


Hopeful, I applied to the University of Sto. Tomas (Manila) and the University of St. La Salle (Bacolod). I went through the application processes and luckily, I passed both!


Did I mention that I am STILL working? Right, it was a crazy decision. Deciding where to study was also a big dilemma because I have my job back in the Metro and now I have two renowned law institutes waiting for my decision. Dropping my job was non-negotiable so I weighed my choice by considering the following: tuition fee, transportation, interaction, and quality of education.


With regard to tuition fees, USLS got 1 point. Why? Because it's cheaper! I also asked UST for a scholarship grant but unfortunately, I was not part of the roster. They mentioned that others needed it more than I did so it was understandable. But it would have been great if I secured one. Since I'm not quitting my job, I'll be paying for my books and my tuition fee will be shouldered by my auntie or USLS itself. Hence, USLS definitely earned a point. 


Now with transportation, USLS still earned the point. In Bacolod, one can just easily go from one place to another using private or even public transportation. If I chose UST, and let's say I'm required to go back to Manila for work, my office and UST are from point to point. Traffic in Manila will also be my worst enemy if I ever choose UST and still work for Citi. I could only imagine the stress and my gosh the cost! Hence, it is sensible that USLS won this round.


Interaction. This is one of the biggest things I actually look forward to given the havoc caused by this 2 year long (and ongoing) pandemic. If I went to USLS, I already knew some people who could help me along the way (a.k.a friends and my dad). But if I went to UST, there's still that uncertainty of going back to face-to-face classes because we would never really know when exactly it is safe to go out and interact closely with others, Hence, another point for USLS!


Lastly, quality of education. I think I wouldn't have applied to both schools if their quality of education was not great. UST produced top notchers, renowned lawyers, and justices. USLS, on the other hand, is a newer school established in 1992 or 1993 but produced some top notchers and great law professionals as well. Without a doubt, both schools earned a point. 


If we do the math, it's USLS that won. :) It's my Christmas break and I finally found some time to finish this piece. Did I also mention I found the love of my life in law school? Now that's another story you should watch out for! :p


Xoxo,
Kia

Comments

Popular Posts