Revenge Travel Series: Coron, Palawan

Post by Kia Paredes

"Revenge travel" is a term that is quite popular in social media nowadays. It essentially means making up for lost travel time due to the pandemic. After borders around the world were closed, all of us were stale, steady, and stuck. We were all uncertain about how the future will unfold as the COVID-19 pandemic took over our normal, daily lives. From 2020 until 2021, we were just with loved ones and closest friends since Covid was considered widespread. We were not able to travel as much as we would want to and I am sure that we, at some point, were all afraid that life just stopped. Personally, I was afraid that I was not living my life at my prime. I made a pact to myself that when this fiasco begins to take a slower pace, I am going to travel the world again---but this time I'll be using my own earnings.

2022 was a pivotal year for living life to the fullest once more. Hence, I'm starting this Revenge Travel series given that I slowly ticked off the places I wanted to visit from my checklist. The first destination I went and gushed over after a year or two of lockdown was the beautiful island of Coron. If I could describe the place in one word, I would describe it as pristine. This was my first time here and I was immensely amazed by its crystal clear waters, luscious greenery, and preserved wildlife. All of my words just do not give justice to how beautiful Coron is because one definitely has to see it for himself to appreciate what I'm trying to explain.



Some of my college friends and I hopped on a plane to Coron last May 12, 2022. On our first vacation day, we arrived in the afternoon and settled down in our hostel. A friend of mine recommended Dayon hostel since they have reasonable rates and airport transfers. We got the dorm type, which has 6 bunk beds. Although there were only four of us, we opted to get the whole room for some privacy. However, the bathrooms are shared since this is again, a hostel. :) Nothing much happened during this day because we were all so tired from the trip to Coron. We just ate lunch in Café Brasserie, took a nap, quick shower, and ate dinner in Pacifico. I highly recommend the restaurants we visited since the food is great and their staff is also nice and warmhearted. I think we had pizzas, some cocktails, and chicken! I couldn't exactly remember what we had for lunch but I know it was delicious.



Our second day in Coron marks the start of our adventure! Before flying to the island, we made some reservations with Calamian Islands Travel and Tours for a Super Ultimate Day Tour that comprises almost all of the must-see waters and lagoons of Coron. We had the best time with our tour guides because they were so kind and funny! I am even more impressed that they cooked scrumptious lunch and merienda for us. We were lucky to see the pristine Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake, Twin Lagoons, Beach 91, Balinsasayaw Reef, Twin Peaks Coral Garden, and CYC Beach all in just one fine, sunny day. Some of my favorite parts of this tour were taking a dip on each lagoon we visit, snorkeling, free diving, and seeing the well-preserved coral gardens that serve as homes to different species underwater. On our way to our hostel, we agreed that we would have dinner at Santino's since our guides recommended that we try it. Their food was soooo good and the price was just right. It's better if you can make a reservation so that your tables are secured.

On our third day, we also had reservations with the same agency and experienced the Island Escapade Tour. Since we were already done exploring the lagoons, we opted to visit the neighboring islands of Malcapuya, Ditaytayan, and Bulog Dos. These islands definitely had white sand and were surrounded by turquoise waters. Our new set of tour guides made sure we were comfortable during the boat ride and they, as usual, prepared lunch and merienda for my friends and me to feast on. We chilled on the beach, got some tan, bought some real pearls from pearl vendors, and snorkeled as a group. It was definitely a hot day, but we did enjoy our trip! For our dinner, we got to try the dishes of Get Real Bar & Restaurant. We had pizzas, steak, and some drinks to cap off our last night in Coron. We also bought some pasalubongs around the area for our loved ones. I highly recommend that you prepare a good amount of cash since there were stores that did not accept digital and card payments.

On our last day, we practically just woke up early and went to the airport to catch our 10:30 am flight. We bought some last-minute goodies at the airport and managed to arrive in Manila on time. Overall, our trip to Coron was short and sweet. Sooner or later, I might visit the island again because of its people and the nature it has to offer.  Make sure this place is also part of your list too :)

For everyone's reference, below is a copy of our budget. If this is over or under your desired budget, you are free to adjust some things to your liking. :) Comment down below if you have any questions.

PER INDIVIDUAL
ItemPriceRemarks
Flight and Lodging
Lodging at Dayon Hostel (Private Room, Common CR)2,561• ~569/bed/night
• Lodging max of 6 people
Flight from MNL to Coron11,400
COVID Tests*Not needed
Subtotal13,961
Tour Packages
Coron Island Super Ultimate Tour (Day Package)2,400Private Tour for 4-6 persons
Coron Island Escapade Tour (Day Package)2,500Private Tour for 4-6 persons
Environmental Fee200
Subtotal4,900
Food and Pocket Money
~15 meals at P667 each10,000
Souvenir money5,000
Miscellaneous
Subtotal15,000
Grand Total33,861

Comments

Popular Posts